Friday 3 October 2014

Work Experience Week 2!

On Wednesday we had our second day of Work Experience. I have been going to a hospital, The Hermitage Medical Clinic, for my work experience. So far I have been helping out in the Medical Records Department. This is where everyone's medical records are filed away, organised etc.

On Wednesday I started out by making up some operation notes. Operation notes consist of four different sheets that need to be put together in the right order, so that they are ready to go into peoples charts. Charts are a persons individual book of their medical records. Everyone who has medical history in The Hermitage has a chart of their own.

After I had a short break I was shown how to sign out the charts that weren't going to be needed any time soon. Once I had gotten the hang of it I then signed out a lot of charts by myself. I was then given a few jobs of retrieving charts from the store room and taking charts up to different departments.

After my lunch break I was given a bundle of medical letters from different doctors about different patients. My job was to find the patients M number and H number on the computer using MediTech. The M number is their medical number and it is the number that is on their chart. The H number is the number that corresponds to the appointment the letter was written about.

Overall I thought the day was quite boring at times, and I would really like to do something other than Medical Records.

Thanks for reading,
Hannah xx


4 comments: